TABLE OF CONTENTS
Cooper & Beatty, Limited fonds:
The Trade Composition Company, a typesetting business in Toronto, was founded by Edward Cooper, Lewis Beatty, and J.L. Pepper in 1921. The firm was renamed Cooper & Beatty, Limited when Pepper left the firm in 1926. William Edward (Jack) Trevett, an internationally acclaimed typography designer, acquired the company in June 1950 and both Cooper and Beatty retired a short time later. Trevett gradually shifted the focus of the business from typesetting to the broad area of graphic design and introduced new techniques, including photo-typography in 1952. Under Trevett the company became one of the leading graphic design companies in Canada, employing a number of notable designers, including Carl Dair, Allan Fleming (vice-president and creative director from 1954 until 1963), Jim Donoahue, and Ken Rodmell. The company secured contracts with advertising agencies in Canada and the United States, winning international awards for its innovative typography designs and producing a large segment of Canada's consumer art. Cooper & Beatty's sister companies include Headliners of Canada, Linotype Composing Company, London Typesetting Company, and Swift-O-Type Ltd. In 1968 Cooper & Beatty merged with the McLean Management Group of Montreal, making it the largest organization of its kind in North America. The firm was sold to Jannock Corporation in 1986 and seven years later, no longer able to compete with the desk-top publishing business, Cooper & Beatty Services, Inc., ceased operating. Upon closing, Cooper & Beatty's archives and library were acquired by the Thomas Fisher Rare Book Library at the University of Toronto.
The fonds consists of the company's various advertisement cards; pamphlets; envelopes; Christmas cards, including keepsakes and Season's Greetings; and invitations to receptions and events sponsored by the firm. Various specimen-type booklets make up a substantial part of the material, as well as miscellaneous brochures and booklets. Also included are three issues of Shop Talk, Cooper and Beatty's monthly newsletter, and various mailers.
Source of supplied title proper: Title based on contents of fonds.
Immediate source of acquisition: The collection was donated to the National Gallery of Canada Library and Archives by Maggie Keith in April 2009.
Terms governing use and reproduction: Permission to reproduce or publish material from the Cooper & Beatty, Limited fonds must be obtained from the National Gallery of Canada Library and Archives.
Collection processed and finding aid prepared by Lisa Colas in 2012.
[Title of item], Cooper & Beatty, Limited fonds, National Gallery of Canada Library and Archives.
Head, Archives, Documentation and Visual Resources
Library and Archives
National Gallery of Canada
380 Sussex Drive
P.O. Box 427, Station A